Saturday, June 8, 2002

Nostranair

A month before the 1990 World Cup football finals, asked me who would win the Cup. I confidently answered "Germany". He asked me the same question in 1994 and 1998, when I replied "Brazil" each time. I was right on the first two occasions and very close in the third.

This time round he asked me the question last month, when we met in Bangalore. I told him England will win. Yeah, get your rotten tomatoes ready. ;-)

I'm not a football fanatic. I dont follow the clubs nor the inter-nation matches. I can barely make out Batistuta from Veron (Veron doesnt have hair on his head, Batistuta has a lot). In my heart, I would love to see Brazil or Argentina win. Maybe even Nigeria, though thats a lost cause now. So dont ask me why I said England. Maybe they wont even qualify for the second round.

In other news (to borrow the phrase from ), I discovered a nice community, something I've been looking for all along - . Looks promising.

Went for driving lessons today. I've lost count of the number of people who've attempted to teach me driving over the years. I think I started in 1992, when my father pushed me into it. Was never interested, so kept running through a series of instructors - friends, cousins, drivers, etc. Now that the Palio is just a couple of weeks away, I'm scared. Who'll drive the car from the showroom to my house ? Who'll start it ? Can I drive up the road leading to Siddhaguntapalya ? Aaaarggghhhh !!

Actually my driving today wasnt so bad. I need to be a bit smoother when I change gears and my starting could use a lot of improvement, but I wasnt as bad as I thought I'd be.

Today I'm setting off on what could be my last trip to Manipal before Sindha's exams. I'll be there for a day on Sunday, back in Bangalore on Monday morning.

7 comments:

  1. Football! My favorite team,to wit, Holland is not playing here. So do I care two hoots who wins the Cup?

    Every Indian feels that a Brazilian triumph would be like an Indian win by proxy. As if!

    I hope Denmark or Croatia wins. Most probably it would be Brazil or Italy or even Argentina or England or..

    Bah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In other news, do I use that phrase all that often?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you certainly do not want to mess up a new car with bad gear-changes. The damages are irreversible. You're prolly better off getting a friend with experience to drive it down and then mess with the palio once you get some experience yourself. The catch with new cars is that they don't respond. Like bad gear-changes/braking etc. never show up whereas a 25 year old clunky diesel Ambassador would instantly die on you, in the middle of the road and the embarassment caused will not make you forget the gear sequence in your entire lifetime :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You thought “Nostramadus” as the subject line would be too obscure, didn’t you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one, Mujib ! Now if only I could think like you.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was young, Rajumon asked me.."Uncle, who's your father?"..

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were a bird in my lorries plying through Walayar checkpost !

    ReplyDelete