Thursday, August 29, 2002

I do a Maveli

My recent visit to Kerala left me with mixed feelings. The trip was good on the whole - was able to spend some quality time with Sindha's folks at Trivandrum, met , visited Binoy at Cherthalai, attended my cousin's marriage and pigged out on food. However I have this feeling that Malayalees have changed a lot. They drink more, they appear more superficial, cynicism has increased... there's an air of restlessness and instability. "Ellolam undu poli vachanam", to paraphrase. Hope I'm wrong.

Saw a good malayalam movie after a long time - Meesha Madhavan. Its not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, but its enough to keep one amused for a good two and half hours. Loved one of the songs - "ente ellam ellam alle...". Dileep has improved a lot, Sindha says that he must have got training from his wife Manju Warrier (one of the finest actresses in Malayalam, career wound up after marriage).

The first half of the Leh pics have come out quite well. Watch this space for links and a note on the trip

Current Book - The Collected Works of Roald Dahl, by Roald Dahl

2 comments:

  1. 'They drink more, they appear more superficial, cynicism has increased... there's an air of restlessness and instability'.

    you are talking about me!

    tell me these are all positive signs of a living society, please.

    ReplyDelete