Wednesday, January 29, 2003

From Mostly Harmless

"A robot was programmed to believe that it liked herring sandwiches. This was actually the most difficult part of the whole experiment. Once the robot had been programmed to believe that it liked herring sandwiches, a herring sandwich was placed in front of it. Where upon the robot thought to itself, Ah! A herring sandwich! I like herring sandwiches.

"It would then bend over and scoop up the herring sandwich in its herring sandwich scoop, and then straighten up again. Unfortunately for the robot, it was fashioned in such a way that the action of straightening up caused the herring sandwich to slip straight back off its herring sandwich scoop and fall on to the floor in front of the robot. Whereupon the robot thought to itself, Ah! A herring sandwich...etc., and repeated the same action over and over again. The only thing that prevented the herring sandwich from getting bored with the whole damn business and crawling off in search of other ways of passing the time was that the herring sandwich, being just a bit of dead fish between a couple of slices of bread, was marginally less alert to what was going on than was the robot."

I think its time for me to re-read the trilogy in 5 parts.

1 comment:

  1. I need to reread them as well! I finally convinced my roommate to buy them, and he's on Mostly Harmless right now.

    The only problem I have is I've been reading them since I was 11, so I've practically memorized not just every word but every placement of every word on the page.

    ReplyDelete