Monday, June 2, 2003

The week that was

Phew, that was one tiring week ! Govind arrived on Monday, Sindha's cousin Vivin and his father turned up on Thursday evening. Kichan reached here on Saturday morn and Achan today. The last few days were spent ferrying people from one place to another. Covered CV Raman Nagar, Jayanagar, JP Nagar, Malleswaram, MG Road, Airport, Cantt Station...both Sindha and I are exhausted. Slightly scary - if a small crowd can drive us nuts, I can't imagine what would happen if the entire khandaan came over. And they might too, what with the baby due in another month...

But hey, its fun to have guests at home, too !

Wandered into Music World the other day and bought Woodstock - The Director's Cut, Mad Max, Citizen Kane and Sarfarosh (Kichan's choice). My movie collection grows. Now if only I had the time to watch all of them...Also picked up Best of MTV Unplugged 2, which turned out to be not as good as the first. Wanted to buy Mark Knopfler's The Ragpickers Story but decided to sample a few of the songs first. Need to download them from somewhere.


Have almost decided to exit the Reliance scheme. Two main reasons:

1. The coverage at MVJ Medical College where Sindha works, is pathetic. They say it could be because that part of town is under Hoskote circle. They also say she can easily enable coverage at Hoskote by dialing *444. And oh, it costs Rs 10/day to do this.
2. STD calls to Kerala will cost Rs 4/minute, out of which only 40ps comes out of our monthly payout. We will get an extra bill for Rs 3.60/min each month.

Exiting the scheme before 90 days would result in a loss of Rs 3000, which is a non-refundable deposit. If I exit after 90 days (next week), I need to pay Rs 3000 + Rs 40/month for the number of months remaining till the 3 year period.

What the hell. Airtel is the best option, IMO. Fellow LJ-ers, please don't go in for the Reliance scheme unless you are sure you won't travel outside the circle and you don't use STD (to landlines) much.

10 comments:

  1. Planning to take reliance for the data connectivity. 10KB/sec and completely mobile using the laptop, something I don't want to miss :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thats the only reason I put in 'almost decided' out there ;-)

    Need to figure this out more...there is a fixed cost of Rs 1200 for the data cable. Not sure if there are any additional charges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now if only I had the time to watch all of them

    You too, huh? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GSM, CDMA, PSTN, WLL...WTF !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know/think CDMA networks had the bandwidth for data transfer. Awesome that its actually becoming a reality for you guys.

    Random GPRS info that I wanna grok later ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw-youknowwhat-some!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ragpicker's Dream is good. I got a tape for my birthday and I'll probably pick up a CD next time I'm at a music store.

    ReplyDelete