Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Scenic Stuff

Because I was bored, because I haven't set a quiz in a long time, because I stopped receiving quiznet mails, because I love movies:

Identify the movies from the descriptions below. These could be descriptions of scenes from a movie, dialogue or just general background to the film. There are a few spoilers, so please, please click on the lj-cut tag below only if you are a movie buff who has the confidence of having seen or at least heard about 'em all ! Then again, if you are a genuine movie buff, all of these should be sitters. The idea is not to have unanswerable questions, but to tease your brain into rememembering these moments from the movies...

1. The screenwriter wrote the scene about the police lineup first. He then wrote the bulletin board scene and then the rest of the movie, effectively written in reverse. The most famous scene has a crashing coffee cup, a bulletin board display and a fax machine taking forever to display a face. There is also a voice saying "It's all there, I'm telling it straight, I swear". The director has this to say about the scene: "It was one of those rare occasions when you could lie to an audience and because there were so many aspects to the film the audience would accept lies - it made the ending all the more exciting and powerful."

2. The original novel describes this scene with the words: "Mary started to scream, and then the curtains parted further and a hand appeared, holding a butcher's knife. It was the knife that, a moment later, cut off her scream. And her head." This ended Chapter Three. 'Nuff said, there is enough trivia about this scene to fill a whole book.

3. Helicopters swarming out of the dawn light to flatten a village. Speakers blasting out Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries'. Surfing. Explosions. The smell of napalm in the morning. Insanity.

4. "You was my brother, Charley. You should've looked out for me a little bit. You should've taken care of me - just a little bit - so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money...You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am. Let's face it (pause) ...... It was you, Charley."

4 b. I had asked this question on quiznet long back. The lines above were uttered by an all time great who won an Academy Award for his role. These lines were spoken again by another all time great in another great movie, who also went on to win an Oscar. Who ?

5. "I called Mama. She was so happy she cried. She wants you to have her wedding gown. It's white lace."
"Yeah, Osgood. I can't get married in your mother's dress. Ha ha. That - she and I, we are not built the same way."
"We can have it altered."
"Aw no you don't! Osgood, I'm gonna level with you. We can't get married at all."
"Why not?"
"Well, in the first place, I'm not a natural blonde."
"Doesn't matter."
"I smoke. I smoke all the time."
"I don't care."
"Well, I have a terrible past. For three years now, I've been living with a saxophone player."
"I forgive you."
"I can never have children."
"We can adopt some."
"You don't understand, Osgood. (Changing to manly voice.) I'm a man."
"Well, nobody's perfect."

6. He stalks her into the bathroom, lurches after her, saying "Little pigs, little pigs, let me come in...Not by the hair on your chinny, chin - chin...Then I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in!" He smashes his way into the bathroom door, with each stroke of the blade jutting through the wood, as his screaming wife watches his progress with her butcher knife poised to strike. He peers through the broken slats with an evil grin and perversely exclaims: "Hereeeeee's Johnny!"

7. "I'll have what she is having"

8. Couldn't resist this - another long one to wind up:

- Never mind that stuff. Take a card
- Card? What will I do with the card?
- You can keep it. I've got fifty-one left. Now what were you saying?
- As chairwoman of the reception committee, I welcome you with open arms.
- Is that so? How late do you stay open?
- I've sponsored your appointment because I feel you are the most able statesman in all Freedonia.
- Well, that covers a lot of ground. Say! You cover a lot of ground yourself. You'd better beat it. I hear they're gonna tear you down and put up an office building where you're standing. You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff. You know, you haven't stopped talking since I came here. You must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle.

.. and later..

- Not that I care, but where is your husband?
- Why, he's dead.
- I'll bet he's just using that as an excuse.
- I was with him to the very end.
- Hmmph. No wonder he passed away.
- I held him in my arms and kissed him.
- Oh, I see. Then, it was murder. Will you marry me? Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first.
- He left me his entire fortune.
- Is that so? Can't you see what I'm trying to tell you? I love you.
- Oh, your Excellency!
- You're not so bad yourself.

12 comments:

  1. Oooh, this is excellent! Are you going to be posting the answers soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... got #4, #5 and #7 without googling (the very last line of #5 was a giveaway) and I think #2 and #3 are pretty much guessable. Drew a blank with the others though.
    I'm not posting my answers here in case anyone else is working on the quiz. I used to follow the action at Quiznet too but, like you, I no longer get mail from the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quiz, man!! Hope you'll post more along these lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had fun creating it too !

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2. psycho?
    3. platoon?
    4. jake la motta (raging bull)
    5. i'd like to know who ;-)
    6. the shining?

    P.S. when are the answers due?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still thinking about 4b and 7. 7 seems, at first glance, to be a very common dialogue which could have appeared in lots of movies. Any clues, or background narration like the others? ;-) Great stuff, btw!!

    Jeffrey Wells of Hollywood Elsewhere (previously 'Hollywood Confidential')used to run a similar game. Check out the archives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, thanks a lot for the link ! I used to read Wells avidly when he was on the erstwhile Mr Showbiz site.

    As for #7 above, well...I realize it could have appeared in lots of movies. But this is arguably the funniest line in a movie that has lots of funny lines. Ok, here's a clue - the person making this statement appears just in this one scene. There is also another bit of trivia about the actor playing this role, but that might be a giveaway...

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. The Usual Suspects. (Guess! I remember seeing the police lineup on the cd cover. )

    2. Psycho. "curtains", "butcher knife", "Mary", and of course, "enough trivia to fill a book".

    3. Apocalypse Now. Thou giveth sitters, I sitteth.

    4. On The Waterfront.
    4b. Brain on temporary vacation. Please to be waiting.

    5. Peas porridge hot,
    Peas porridge cold,
    Peas porridge in the pot
    Nine Days old.
    ____________
    Some like it cold,
    Some like it in the pot,
    Nine days old.

    ;-)

    6. The Shining. The book was the only Stephen King book that genuinely scared me.

    7. When Harry Met Sally. the orgasm scene.

    8. One of the Marx Brothers movies. The one in which Groucho plays a dictator. Duck Soup?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't do too badly, did I? Considering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a bad quizzer, I know. That's why I hate participating in quizzes. But, I love being in the audience and keep guessing...

    My tries,

    3. Apocalypse Now?
    5. Some like it hot?
    7. Harry Met Sally.
    8. Coincidence... I think, it was quoted at the back of the Marx brothers book I bought recently.. Movie name please... I dont want to google and spoil the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes dear. You didn't do badly at all, considering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Considering what? ;)

    ReplyDelete