Wednesday, October 1, 2003

Interesting stuff that convince me the world is becoming a smarter, better place for mankind

The wonder that is email

I get this mail from Microsoft on my yahoo account every single day, asking me to use a patch immediately. The mail is sent from the address security@microsoft.com but has a return path to admin@duma.gov.ru. I cleverly went to this website but my browser settings appear to be incompatible with whats displayed. Couldn't make head or tail of these characters. A firebird bug, very possibly.

The mail is very nice though. It reads: "Dear friend , use this Internet Explorer patch now! There are dangerous virus in the Internet now! More than 500.000 already infected!" The mail helfpully contains an attachment called patch.exe which I think I'm supposed to use to kill all these 500.000 viruses (virii ?). Man, I feel like a Terminator already.

Traffic Improvements

The traffice police in Bangalore is implementing a new policy in some roads like MG Road and Airport Road. You need to switch off your headlights while driving on these roads. I think this is a very positive move and will make driving a pleasure, comparable to playing games like say, RoadRash and Need For Speed. I was cruising along MG Road the other evening, having a wonderful time trying to separate the autos from the Qualises (Qualii ?) when the streetlights went off. There was great merriment all round - some vehicles had headlights on, some had none, others had their parking lights and a few were switching from high beam to low to off and then again back to high. All the horns were working very well, though.

Speaking of Airport Road, there is this massive roadwork going on just next to my office. A clover leaf shaped flyover (in contrast to a horseshoe shaped one, I guess) is being constructed. It takes roughly twenty minutes to cover twenty metres on a good day. Not satisfied with this, the good folks of the BDA are planning another constriction construction upstream, near the Windtunnel road junction. This is going to benefit me a lot - I get to work from home or look for a job at ITPL. Win-win.

On the other hand, some really good stuff

My parents arrive tomorrow. lands up in the evening. Mu ha ha ha !!

19 comments:

  1. I hope I don't have to move back to Bangalore for at least a year. I love Goa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clover leaf shaped eh? ;-) Should pay more attention next time.

    Btw, did you know the Airport roadwork is being constructed by the Uttar Pradesh Govt. :-) Doesn't that sound so very promising!!

    I guess you will probably be busy, but just in case you have some time to kill during the weekend (a fairly long one for me, now that i have taken friday off), let me know. Would be nice to meet up again (despite my being an ass enuf not to have given u a buzz even once since the last time).

    ReplyDelete
  3. these 500.000 viruses (virii ?)
    Although virii seems to be the gramatically correct usage. Looks like viruses is the usually used term ....as far as I've browsed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monday might be better, Arun. It sure would be nice to meet up, though. Give me a call or drop a line here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as I know the flyovers at Diry Circle & Bannerghatta Road/BTM are also being constructed by the same chaps, the UP State Bridge Corp. to be precise...wonder how they bagged the contract ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right. Stick to 'viruses'. 'Virii' isn't grammatically correct. For one thing, the word has no plural form in Latin. Even if there were, it would have to be viri, not virii. (Words like radii have two i's in the plural because the singular — radius — already has an i in the stem.)

    It's hypercorrectness that makes people come up with zany plurals such as virii, hippopotami and octopi. If one wishes to be really pedantic, the last of these examples ought to be spelled 'octopodes', since the word is Greek, not Latin. But 'octopuses' should do just fine, and is indeed the preferred form.

    End of grammar lesson. Class dismissed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes !!! Thanks, Anand !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely put. Thanks, teacher !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, they did. Having fun sharing one bathroom among six people :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find the traffic improvements section very funny. Cant stop laughing.

    vid

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tee hee hee. But sshhh....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heh. Do you take this Airport Road route too ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, she doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to, for 4 years, before I changed companies. :)

    Btw, I'm from Bangalore and I've stayed here all my life, i.e., 26 years.

    :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. oops, that last comment was mine. Forget to sign off with my name.

    vid

    ReplyDelete