Monday, October 20, 2003

Movies over the weekend

You know you are getting old when you prefer Bhagban to Koi...Mil Gaya.


Koi...Mil Gaya
Ha ha ha ha.



Bahgban
Cliche factory. They keep coming one after the other, relentlessly. Minutes after the mother is forced to sleep in the servant's room, the grand-daughter wears revealing clothes and gets on her boyfriend's bike. The adopted son is more dutiful than the real kids. The daughter-in-law attends kitty parties. The son refuses to get his father's glasses repaired. Modernity vs tradition. Old vs new. Towards the end, the father wins The Booker's Prize (sic) for his debut novel, a la Arundhati Roy. I suppose the sequel will have him write essays against dams and nukes.

On the positive side, Amitabh and Hema make a brilliant pair. Moreover, it was a relief to watch a movie that didn't have songs set in New Zealand passing for Kasauli or Pyar Nagar or whatever. Sindha and I were entertained enough to continue watching till the end, unlike Koi...Mil Gaya where we fell out of our chairs laughing when Hrithik showed up on a motorbike post interval. The TV had to be switched off after that, we couldn't stand it anymore


I've been able to watch most of the latest movies thanks to the friendly neighbourhood cable guy. He's got two channels that happily air the very latest in Hindi, Tamil and Malayalam. He does show English too, but its mainly the Bad Boys 2 variety which I'm not too fond of.

15 comments:

  1. Brilliant reviews. Almost makes me want to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen neither. Intend to see neither. Now much of my movie watching is limited to TV. (If i'm at home when a good one is playing.)
    What are your alltime favorites?
    Mine are
    a. Life is beautiful
    b. Steel Magnolias (Watch it for Shirley McLaine)
    c. Fried green Tomatoes (or something like that. Great movie, great acting..)

    Its been so long since I saw a good movie. The movie scene in Hyderabad is pathetic. apart from the Telugu and Hindi movies, you get an occassional English movies. The decent ones are always the action flicks. Otherwise you get to see those like "Return of the snake woman" types! *Grin*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved "When Harry Met Sally" too..I've not missed a single Meg Ryan movie since then.
    I practically grew up on "The Good, theBad and the Ugly" and "The Magnificent Seven." We had both these cassettes at home,so been watching them since I was in class three or four.I know the dialogue by heart!
    "Jaane bhi do yaaron" is pretty cool.Laughed my heart out..!I also love "Amar Akbar Antony." We had that cassette at home too and during that time Amitabh was a hot favorite!Watched this one a hundred times...!
    I like quite a few of the mallu movies too. (Comedies in particular). I'm a total movie buff and for years, I got comments like,"Study, and keep the movies for later." This was till i went on to study film. Watched a whole lot of movies then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You studied film ? Wow ! I've never progressed beyond watching movies and reading about them. Where did you study ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Symbiosis,Pune! Had some whacko teachers..anyway,those were the best two years of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Koi Mil Gaya stands out in my mind for one memorable line by Preity Zinta -'Jo matka jod sakta hai, woh kuch bhi kar sakta hai" - which had us howling with laughter in a packed Bombay theater leading to threats of ejection from hired goons...

    otherwise, an outstandingly painful movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to see this movie now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha, yes. That was priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. >On the positive side, Amitabh and Hema make a brilliant >pair.
    And I'll watch it for that anyday....

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the most bakwaas movies of all time: Koi Mil Gaya

    ReplyDelete
  11. don't forget that other stupid dialogue:

    Hrithik: Sach?

    Priety: Much !

    :)) Was howling with laughter when that happened ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Copied from a Govinda flick.

    Sachi?
    Muchi?

    ReplyDelete
  13. :)) Which flick was that?

    This Sach-Much dialogue was also there btwn Abhishek and Kid in Kuch Na Kaho.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carrying a joke too far, eh? I forgot which one. Anari No.1, possibly.

    ReplyDelete