Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Music update

Bought quite a few cds over the past few days. There's this nice little shop in Jayanagar called Calypso which has a very good collection. Better than what I saw at Music World or Planet M.

Movies
The 39 Steps (a steal at Rs 99), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (Virginia Woolf, Virginia Woolf), A Streetcar Named Desire (yes ! Stellaaaaaa !!) and When Harry Met Sally (I'll have what she is having)

Music
Strange Condition, Bent (both modern rock compilations - Travis, Matchbox 20, Sugar Ray and the like), Edward the Great (I've never heard of this album from Iron Maiden - its a greatest hits compilation, with Eddie dressed up like a king, on the cover), Everyday (Dave Mathews Band), another compilation called Heroes (featuring folks like Dylan, van Morrison, et al), Takshak and an ARR Tamil hits cd from Lahiri for Rs 42 (!).

There was an Indian Ocean cd called Jhini which I heard raving about. I didn't pick it up as I wasn't sure I'd like the music. Maybe I'll sample a few mp3s first.

9 comments:

  1. Hoo Boy! Now where was Calypso when I came to Bangalore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed watching The 39 Steps. The best part about the movie is it finishes in just an hour. Though, I bought Virginia Woolf and Street car, I haven't yet watched them... preserving them for some serious wistful mood....

    Enjoy!

    Don't buy The man who knew too much (1934 version) and The secret Agent which are also available for 99 bucks. I dont have anything against those movies themselves. My argument is: The print and sound quality is very bad for those two titles.

    This reminds me, I have to get back my copy of Harry met Sally from my manager. Thanks for reminding me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addendum: Edward the great, indeed, has some good tracks by Iron Maiden, though I would think, to the consternation of maiden purists, that Brave New World is a better start for a newbie. Actually, you could have made a copy from me or beatzo and saved 345Rs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I've seen all these movies. Just adding them to my collection.

    Thanks for the tip on The Man.. & Secret Agent. They were available at the shop but I prefered buying The 39 Steps. I also agonized over Vertigo but frankly I always found it to be one of the overrated Hitchcocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Very Strong No.

    If you've heard Kandisa closely, and are a big Indian Ocean fan, some parts of Jhini will sound ...familiar. It does not explore as much as Kandisa did. It was a very different album from what IO had done until then, don't you agree?

    But yes, Jhini's still much much better than most of the stuff we get to hear nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I said a newbie, I meant a casual beginner in a generic sense. I didn't mean you. Sorry for the confusion.... my fault. :-(

    Like I was saying in one of my previous posts, the vcd titled The Secret Agent is actually Sabotage...

    ReplyDelete
  7. don't you agree?

    Umm..pardon my ignorance, but the fact is that Kandisa is a the only IO album I've heard. :( Till date. :)

    Will try and filch Jhini from somewhere then.

    ReplyDelete