Tuesday, December 30, 2003

Dream a little dream

I've been thinking about this, off and on, for quite some time now. My line of work requires me to travel about once or twice a year (at most) to the US. If I could take Sindha along for one of these trips, we could take a couple of weeks off and roam around. Both of us prefer to travel in Europe, so maybe we could break our return journey at Frankfurt or Amsterdam and then backpack wherever possible. We have a few friends and relatives at Holland, England and Switzerland, so perhaps we could stay with them for a day or two, cutting down on hotel expenses. We'd need to leave the kid with one of our parents of course, when she's old enough for that.

We might be able to do this in a year's time, if everything goes right. I haven't thought through the expense part though. Hope it wouldn't wind up terribly beyond our reach.

Interesting enough to dream about, anyway !

12 comments:

  1. Some times the cliched sentences convey the best....

    "May your dreams come true!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. A neat thought. All the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, the luxury dreams afford us. afford anyone. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife dragged me over to Boston when she went onsite (most of my travels take me in the opposite direction - taipei, seoul, KL etc).

    It has been fun, though "living like fakirs and saving $$$ so that they can come back and put a deposit on a house" - which seems to be the reason why most of her colleages go onsite, has not been an option :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey dont think too much about the expenses...
    am sure u can manage if u choose proper backpackers...and not honeymoon suites ;)...u gotta travel students style though and hit the local spots
    i did a 10 day in nz last yr this time with uma.... things r not as expensive as they seem...we could even manage to hire a car and drive through for 5 days...
    trust me though the thought of money is a mind block initially
    u will not regret it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU HAVE TO, HAVE TO GO TO

    www.globalfreeloader.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to do the same, hitchhike, and hike through Scotland, to begin with and then hitchhike through Germany and Belgium, then Switzerland...

    The International Youth Hostel federation is a good cost saving option, as is staying with the locals. My local guru is a Guyanese Indian, who saw most of Europe in 45 days, spending only 800 dollars in the process.

    The youth hostels are in India too, get your membership before you leave, when you do leave :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome stuff! Definitely go for it.And I think you have these guides on " Going around the world with a shoe string budget".Worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Site looks ok, will use it when the need arises. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  10. New Zealand is a place I've always wanted to visit. Or maybe even stay. Good that you were able to spend 10 days out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, your prayers have been answered. I am the queen of cheap travel in Europe. In fact, I'm going tore write Lonely Planet's Europe on a shoestring.

    (PS - please plan your trip before I forget my pearls of wisdom)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will keep that in mind, thanks. Do you have a draft ready ?

    ReplyDelete