Monday, January 5, 2004

Loot and looted

Went to three bookstores over the weekend. Didn't feel fully satisfied with my browsing since Rachu was awake and wanted to devour all the books she saw. Still, managed to utilize the Rs 1000 book coupon I had won from last week's quiz. Spent another 1000+ at FountainHead and bought a couple of McBains from Blossoms.


A slight risk, but have decided to give Indian writing one more try Another risk, but the story sounded interesting Mainly for Sindha The Booker winner - hasn't started off very well, I'm not impressed so far...

This is on jace's recco A collection of his movie and book reviews from the New Yorker - looks great A new 87th precint book - looks very promising Another McBain for my collection

Sequel to Angela's Ashes which I haven't finished yet Might be good, supposedly one of Naipaul's better books

Couldn't get a graphic for the last book - The Mugger, by Ed McBain. This is the second book in the 87th Precint series and the second time I'm buying it ! Me and my memory, sheesh !


came over on Saturday evening and left with almost three-fourth of my movie collection. I had forgotten to bring back the Kurusawas from office, though. They were the ones he'd actually wanted. Next time for sure, buddy ! I did locate them at office, btw.

11 comments:

  1. Hey I'm reading Vernon God Little right now. Kafka from the mind of a child is how I would describe it. The language takes getting used to but once you do get used to it, it has a nice rhythm. Nice loot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Nice haul! Me reading India Unbound. Good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. The language does take a little getting used to. I've reached page 50 or thereabouts.

    I found the storyline interesting, will stick with it I guess !

    ReplyDelete
  4. That be great loot, me hearty!

    Vernon God Little is kinda like Catcher in The Rye, newgen-ised. I found that the language isn't needlessly profane, and adds to the starkness of the narrative. It is actually quite an enjoyable book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. was awesome visiting you, and talking to you, and the family. :-)
    i guess you will have a frequent pest now (dont mind the distance :-D).

    and oh yeah!!! the movies .... if i put up a list here, you will be flooded, so i wont. i am still *drooling*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oye! Where are my CDs? I haven't seen them in over a year.

    (And I'm going to Bombay next weekend to return books I borrowed three years ago.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read Ricardo Semler's books. Maverick! and The Seven-day Weekend. Both mind-blowing reads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. not to be scared madhav, these were cds he gave me when he left to the US (you see I thought he would stay put there), and I have to get around to giving them back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ..if i put up a list here, you will be flooded, so i wont..

    Thanks ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was worried there, till I saw your comment ! Heh heh.

    ReplyDelete