Monday, May 24, 2004

AE & I

Before the weekend started, I was determined to do three things: a) See Aayitha Ezhuthu; b) not watch Yuva; and c) Watch AE on screen. Ladies and gentlemen, I am happy to report I accomplished all (cue applause).

I was wondering, if there had been no Mani Rathnam (shudder), what would we movie watchers have to be content with? Characters named Rahul and Pooja; squeaky clean, well scrubbed environments; the Alps, New Zealand and Mauritius; mannersims passing off as great acting; Ma, Ma and more Ma - the mind boggles.

I really liked Aayitha Ezhuthu. It's got a raw, edgy feel which makes it different from the other Mani movies. Surya has done a phenomenal job playing Michael. His eyes and his smile speak volumes. I loved the scenes where he interacts with the character played by Bharatiraja. Madhavan was not bad either, but he had the advantage of an author backed role. It's easy to see why Abhishek Bachchan is getting rave reviews for his role in Yuva, where he plays the same character.

The usual Rathnam touches are everywhere - terrific songs that are very well picturised, small romantic moments that make you smile, simplistic but inspirational solutions for political and social problems, top notch cinematography and mind numbing violence. I also liked the fact that for a change, none of the major characters die - including the villain.


What I didn't like: the Dol Dol song stood out like a sore thumb - it didn't fit in with the visuals, was redundant and added very little to take the story forward. I also thought that entire episode featuring Arjun (played by Siddharth) could have been avoided. Yes, it does add a bit of balance to the overall story, but it gave the impression of being tacked on, to attract the younger, college going crowd. Lastly, I did feel that Madhavan's character had shades of Brando - Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire and a little bit - a very little bit - of On The Waterfront.

I can see why Yuva is getting mixed reviews. Though I haven't watched it yet, the actors appear to be terribly miscast - Ajay Devgan should have been younger, Abhishek should have been older and Vivek shouldn't have been there at all. Maybe Mani Rathnam didn't care too much about the Hindi version. Hmm.

Overall, I do recommend watching Aayitha Ezhuthu. It's not Mani's best movie, but it's right up there in the top half. Edgy, raw, violent and very much in your face.

22 comments:

  1. I hope it's better than Yuva.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still didn't get a chance to see The Movie. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, I think Mani was trying to understand the minds of the young from different stratas of the country, our "Yuva", so to say. And thats why the Arjun character was needed. Not for pleasing the college crowd, but to represent the I'm cool-I wanna go to the US NOW mindset. Mind you I'm not saying the portrayal in terms of screenplay was adequate or even reflective. But I see why it was there.

    Oh, and I say this after only seeing Yuva. AE will probably not come here till a month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do watch yuva. i watched both the movies, i'd never recommend ayutha ezhuthu to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'd never recommend ayutha ezhuthu to anyone.

    Pray tell, why?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that review. I've been reading completely different opinions about the two versions...

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...but to represent the I'm cool-I wanna go to the US NOW mindset

    I did understand that. However, I thought he could have simply given this mindset to one of the friends of Michael, rather than spending time developing him as a major character.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I've got to see Yuva!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'author backed role'? How?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, the character was very well etched out. Not to take away anything from Madhavan, butI thought any actor could have done justice to the role.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never thought it had anything to do with Amores Perros.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know. Just that I personally didn't believe it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh...okay, got you. Mani Ratnam says in his interview that if it resembles anything it is Kurasowa's Rashomon. But I personally don't believe it (saw Rashomon yesterday and Amores Perros last weekend;)) Yuva, maybe next year :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I doubt whether any of these critics have seen Amores..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll be watching yuva this weekend.

    Hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't know. What is it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey can I add you on...You've been strongly recommended for a dose of good humour!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You don't need to ask. Be my guest.

    ReplyDelete
  19. it's good movie(tamil one)

    ReplyDelete