Thursday, May 6, 2004

Radio Gaga

Radio City DJs are really stretching this Mother's Day business. Today we had the astoundingly asinine Sunayana Lal call up a lady in Delhi and got her daughter to speak to her. The conversation went like this:

Girl: "Mama, I love you. I would like to thank you for being there for me always. You mean so much to me.." (and so on, gush, gush)
Mama, after a pause: "Awaz sunayi nahi deta"
Sunayana Lal: "Oh, don't worry, we'll call you back"
And after a break,
Girl: "Mama, can you hear me? I love you. You are the greatest mother ever. You've always been there for me. I will always be there for you..." (gush gush ad nauseam)
Mama: "Yeh kya bol rahi hai? Kuch samjha nahin"
Girl, to Sunayana: "I'll call her later, it's ok. (sobs)"

Made my day, really.

14 comments:

  1. conclusion:
    Mom doesnt understand english!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did they make sure they had the mother on the phone,and not someone else?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROTFLMAO !!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. even i heard that shyte. yesterday it was someone in cal. when is the frigging day anyway. thanks to archies cards everyday is some shyte or the other!
    soon they will have wash behind your ears day or pick your nose in public day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they shouldve made sure it was someone else (an imposter), not the mother, on the fone. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-)))
    Can't stop laughing...:-)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got me reminded of an article I read somewhere about the current western idea of Mother's Day - When u get reminded of an old lady somewhere in Ohio and send her the perfunctory bouquet of flowers via some dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sunaina has been to my place (with lots of family, I think), but I have to admit that I've never heard on the radio (not an early morning person, see.)

    Actually, since they went all-Hindi on us, I had stopped listening to RadioCity.

    If only I'd realised that many others too had done it... before I blew big bucks on that freakin' RadioCity ad campaign!

    I must mention this RJ called Kiran, whose pronunciation and accent are so gawdawful that I considered telling my office boy to apply for an RJ position there. He kept referring to my cocktail *lounge* as "loan-j"

    ReplyDelete
  9. we had exactly the same conversation for mother's day (in english) on fm radio in singapore!!! do all these radio guys across the world work with each other or what?!

    ReplyDelete