Thursday, November 18, 2004

Once Upon A Time in America, Part I

You need to be very careful while eating breakfast in America, especially if it's a buffet. What you do first, you walk around the restaurant, looking at all the dishes and the fruit juices available. You decide to play safe and go with bacon and eggs, toast and a token slice of watermelon for your daily fruit intake. You then decide you'd like some fresh fruit juice too.

You walk over to a counter where you see a tray with straws and a row of paper cups containing a thick liquid, placed next to an instrument that looks like a toaster, but horizontal and flat. You ignore the instrument and pick up a cup with the liquid, add a straw and saunter back to your table. You try to guess the fruit by looking at the liquid through the cup, but you can't really make out. Might be chikkoo shake, you guess. One of your favorites.

You pop some bacon into your mouth, munch steadily. You then insert the straw into the cup and suck. It's thick, this juice. You try harder and get some into your mouth. It certainly isn't chikkoo. You put the cup down and attack the bacon again. A waitress comes by, does her best to control her laughter, asks, "Do you know you just tried to drink waffle mix?"

You smile, say, "Oh yeah, I thought it tasted funny" and quickly walk out while the restaurant erupts in laughter behind you.

25 comments:

  1. am never gon to come to america. i'll probably feel like a worm in the middle of an express highway. am safe underground here.

    wish there is no part II for this. :>

    ReplyDelete
  2. There but for the grace of god, go I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gosh!.. you mean they leave it like that for you to make your own??

    ReplyDelete
  4. but why did you want to drink funny tasting waffle mix?

    ReplyDelete
  5. because he thought it was juice ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. handling the knife and fork when you want to switch them in your right hand ... big pain ... happened ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I believe that was the intent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No saar. Me country bumpkin somehow managed, saar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm wondering if that first question had some strain of satire you and i missed...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha! What did it taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  11. unfortunately you don't have to go USA to make an ass of yourself. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh goodness! All right, I imagine *living* it must have been very embarrassing, but from a strict *reader* point of view, it's hilarious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Once you have figured out one breakfast place in this country, you have them all figured out (well, at least the ones in hotels).... Happy breakfasting next time!

    BTW why in the world didn't you ask someone what it was? I'm surprised there were sniggers. Normally people are very politically correct.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, it must be tough to live it, but it IS hilarious to read it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They usually have some serf make it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I dread to think the social faux pas I made when I was in India. That won't prevent me from coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you know if the "Culture Shock!" series of books are available in India? I have not read the one for the US, but I did read the one for Ireland and India and thought they were a decent overview of customs and etiguette. I'm sorry I didn't recommend something like this before you visited. I'm also wondering if you even have time to read books for pleasure these days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I doubt if this kind of scenario would be covered in Culture Shock books. Maybe I should write my own series.

    ReplyDelete
  19. F*ck :))

    Did you really walk out while the place erupted in laughter? Sounds like a nightmare!

    I'd never walk out. I'd probably give a big grin to everyone who was looking and ask for what I originally wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh no, it didn't quite happen that way towards the end. Some amount of literary license is needed to make a story colourful, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  21. that was hilarious to say the least..

    a personal experience comes to mind when i ordered a "veggie" omelette. By veggie I mean no bacon or sausages on the side,etc. This was in Pennsylvania and everyone around me was laughing when I asked for a veggie.

    It seems I had pronounced the word to rhyme with(it already does rhyme with) "Wedgie" - the american term for pulling your underwear out! (The Mask does it often on his cartoon series!)

    I'd say your better off drinking waffle mix:)

    ReplyDelete