Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Numb and number

Wanted to post pictures and talk about my holiday, but have just not been able to bring up the old spirit. Each time I open my newsreader or browser, I read about the dead bodies piling up. From 3000 it went up to 7, then 10, then 68000 all over Asia. Want to do something, want to get off my air-conditioned office and my laptop and my comfortable bed and be out there, helping as much as I can. Spineless wimp that I am, I just keep forwarding links and visiting websites and tut-tutting about the whole affair. Yes, I donated some money. Big deal.

The idiot brigade has already started doing what they do best. Witness Rajeev Srinivasan who thinks this was caused by the Kanchi seer's arrest. India has not invited the UN, so they cannot help. NGOs have sprung up all over the place, asking for money, food, clothing and what have you. Sindha says there is a strong possibility of epidemics breaking out now. Cholera and typhoid for starters.

This is the worst tragedy I have seen in my lifetime. The world appears to be putting together the biggest ever aid package for those affected. I just wish it reaches the right folks at the right time. I've not prayed in eighteen years, but this seems to be a good time to start.

4 comments:

  1. Amen!
    Eh? Not accepting financial aid is one thing, they don't even accept man power. Wtf! Not that I am justifying not accepting money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what you have wrote is 100% true.praying will help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done your share, man. Stop worrying about it :) Won't help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. even this, like everything else will pass. We can do what we can within our capacity. Eventually, we accept and move on.

    ReplyDelete