Friday, January 21, 2005

Blogging as usual

After a few weeks of being blase about blogging, we are back to our regular programming.


I leave for San Jose on Sunday night. Will be passing through sunny Singapore, where I have a day to kill and a date to kill for. Will be back in Bangalore on the 31st.


Had a good laugh watching Ju-On the other night. Sorry, ! I guess I'm too old for all this now.


Dean Koontz once wrote a book called 'How to Write Bestselling Fiction'. While I don't rate Koontz very high as a writer, I thought he made a few good points. One that stuck with me was that a good book should always immerse the reader in the story so much that the reader shouldn't realize he is reading a book at all.

Stephen King's Wolves of the Calla starts off by dragging you deep into the story. Obviously inspired by Seven Samurai and other such epics, it does a fairly decent job of keeping the reader occupied. Occupied and happy till the last couple of pages, when King slaps you twice across the cheeks, pours cold water on you and jolts you awake, yelling "Hey, wake up, dummy! You are reading a book! Muahahahaha!". Jackass.

I'm not looking forward to reading Song of Susannah now, though I know I must. Ka.


The office serves free lunch on Fridays, usually ordered from a nearby restaurant. The food is a mix of non-vegetarian and grass-roots fare and is almost always yummy. A co-worker brought his own lunch today, though. He told me it was to protest against the Benny Hinn event in Bangalore. No, seriously. He felt that he would be supporting the show if he ate the food at work, so he stuck to puliyogare and curd rice.

I think I'll pack up and go home now.

4 comments:

  1. A co-worker brought his own lunch today, though. He told me it was to protest against the Benny Hinn event in Bangalore--- fcuk where did that logic come from? wow u should hang him from the 8th floor to prevent stone throwning mobs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. come back if possible via germany
    and spend some time here
    will promise you good R&R
    and you get to borrow the 'Film Noir' book too

    ...ah but i know ...
    the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am postponing buying Wolves of The Calla for as long as I can. Have to get out of this "started-a-series-so-must-complete-it"-frame of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He felt that he would be supporting the show if he ate the food at work, so he stuck to puliyogare and curd rice.

    The HR department in your company needs to screen potential employees more carefully. ;)

    Do they administer a CQ test? "Crackpot Quotient"?

    ReplyDelete