Monday, June 20, 2005

Of Batman, a Birthday and a Book

Batman Begins. Boy, does he! One of the best comic book adaptations I've seen, this is THE Batman film. Why didn't they make this earlier? Die, Joel Schumacher, die!
***

Rachu is two today. Bought her a tricycle. She sits coyly on the side, like Victorian ladies on horseback.

Man, does time fly.
***

Started on Cloud Atlas a few days back. Begins well, but it's only been ten pages so far. I stepped out after the first two, to meet an old friend, Stephen King's The Dead Zone. This was my first King, read perhaps twenty years back: a tattered copy from the Eloor Library. I remember being impressed by the ending, which was 'Johnny Smith stood up'. A cliffhanger ending, which I love. I went on to become a King maniac and wound up buying almost all the books written by him.

Had the shock of my life when I completed re-reading it yesterday. The one I read long back was not the actual ending. The book goes on for a few more pages to wrap up - and it's no cliffhanger. Is this what they call irony, doctor?

27 comments:

  1. Wish Rachu from J and me!! So what is being planned for the b'day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to Rachu. And you and your wife. :)

    As for the book, look at it this way, how often do you get to read the same book and find that the climax has changed in the meanwhile?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! No major plans. Just some cake to go around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks.

    And yeah, that's a good way to look at it. It's a Stephen King book after all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Rachukutty!
    They start remembering things after the age of two, so it should be fun from now on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was blown away by the movie. And I'm a BIG Batman fan.

    (Except some of the action scenes. Too much blurry stuff happening.)

    I'm going to see it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Rachu- I practically lived on my tricycle for a couple of years (2-4), so I'd say that's a perfect gift!

    She sits coyly on the side, like Victorian ladies on horseback.
    Heheh.

    Totally agree on Batman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks!

    I'll be careful I don't give her any bad memories from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Rachu!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best Wishes to Rachu!

    And I understood the reason for your comment just now :)) I hadn't see your post when you posted them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to Rachu ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Rachu

    -Uncle Sam(the nice one)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Went to the old post where you announced Rachu's birth. A LOT of LJ crowd voted for Megha. Why did ya name her Rachana then? Just asking cause I might have missed that post of your's ! :D

    By the way, glad you named her Rachana. Rachu sounds much better than Meghu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tricycle this birthday and a four wheeler for the next? Birthday wishes for all of us. Agree with the Batman verdict, though the first 30 mins really dragged.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A LOT of LJ crowd voted for Megha. Why did ya name her Rachana then?

    Because my wife and I prefered Rachana.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That pretty much hits the nail on the head. Thanks ! :))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like that's an excuse :).

    Two years of parenting. I tip my hat to you and wish Rachana a very happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday to Rachu! :) How lovely how time flies :)

    I'm almost tempted to go back to my favourite books and hope for alternate endings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you!

    Why don't you try a few anyway?

    ReplyDelete