Friday, August 24, 2007

Fear

I am getting more and more scared these days, as I grow older. Scared of a lot of things, none of which go bump in the night.

Scared my dad is losing his energy, the tremendous joie de vivre he used to have. I just can't imagine him without that smile on his face, that interest in everything and everyone. This started a month ago, after his fall where he had a hairline fracture on his hand and cut his eyebrow. I think he suddenly realized that he is sixty-five. I did, too.

Scared when my daughter spends two whole days coughing every other minute. I know it's just a throat infection, it will pass soon. But I am scared she'll get up in the night and cough some more, cough out more than what she should. Scared that I'm not doing the best I can as a father, as a protector, as an adult.

I had a rather bad accident close to a year back, when my car overturned. The vehicle was almost totally wrecked, it spent five months in the body shop before coming back home. I escaped with a couple of scratches and a finger that refuses to bend all the way. I am not really affected by that accident, shit happens. But I'm scared I've used up all my lives, could be game over the next time.

Scared of the country I live in, scared of a society which doesn't give a flying fuck about individuals. Scared of a vapid culture, a fast growing generation who are taught not to think, taught totally different kind of values, made to believe in gods they themselves know not to exist.

Hell, I'm one cowardly custard.

7 comments:

  1. At least you're not too scared to come out and say it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. searing!
    i do look up to you, ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one lifetime goes
    in the shadows of the nine

    the nine rasas
    emotions

    bheebhatsa bhayanaka shrungara ...
    the contours of the very words
    lining entire worlds and entire crevices

    when you crouch in the warmth and shudder in the terror
    run your hands along your life
    the ache of the joy and the dread of eternity

    green, dark, the green of the rain
            red, of the fiery narrowed slits in a face
    white, of bamboo, skimming the blue, raking, plunged

    it goes
    like a note and a sound
    and a step.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm no fan of poetry, but that read good. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to walk away relatively unscathed from an accident like that!

    My dad will turn 65 in a couple of months. I don't think either of us realize that either, difficult indeed to imagine a different sort of dad...

    But hey, cheer up!! Happy Onam! Eat well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. >Scared of a vapid culture

    Gives me sleepless nights.

    ReplyDelete