Monday, November 26, 2001

Post Weekend Post

Back from Manipal.

How now, brown cow ?

I will be going to Hyderabad this weekend, for recruitment. Gives me a good opportunity to meet my uncles, aunts and cousins out there. Plan to stay over on Sunday too, even if my work finishes a day earlier.

Harry Potter was running at Manipal. Couldn't catch him (yeah, 'twas intended) since the show was scheduled for the same time as my return bus. Manipal has these video parlors which screen all the latest movies. They get the pirated VCDs or tapes within a week of the movie being released in the US.

A friend suggested that I have veg fried rice and prawn Manchurian for dinner. The prawns sound good, but ordering VEG fried rice ! Sacrilege !

Whats the score, btw ? How much did Dalmiya make today ?

4 comments:

  1. Don't tell me you are going to recruit more relatives, you Wooster, you.

    I'm surprised at the company you keep these days. You have vegetarian friends? Especially those who give outrageous suggestions like these? Just remember, cabbages have hernia(something i read in readers' digest amazing facts)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manchurian, eh?

    That's as Indian a dish as they come. There's no such dish in Chinese cuisine. Trust me, I've been cooking authentic Chinese food for the last 13 years (not the deep-fried gunk swimming in goo that passes for Chinese in restaurants) and in over 2500 recipes, I've yet to see any mention of anything "Manchurian" :)

    Incidentally, the Chinese rarely make a pure meat dish. Meat is usually added to vegetables for more flavour and even the meat dishes usually have vegetables in them. Chinese cuisine is all about contrast - yin and yang. A crispy chicken will be combined with steamed vegetables, spicy beef will be combined with crunchy and relatively bland broccoli, and so on. The Chinese food in this country (other than some 5 star hotels) is a JOKE. It's born out of the Indian taste for "curry"-like food. Very rarely do you see real Chinese dishes swimming in thick sauce like you do here.

    I'm done ranting now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've heard that Indian Chinese is a far cry from the Beijing variety. But hey, from what you wrote, Indian chinese looks tastier ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed it is.

    In fact, I'm cooking some for friends on Friday for my birthday bash.

    Once you've tasted "real" Chinese food, you'll never want to go back to the other crap.

    ReplyDelete