Tuesday, October 1, 2002

Food World Wierdos

I never knew Food World was home to wierdos. I have been accosted twice by two different men, both interested in presenting me a unique business opportunity. The routine goes like this - I stand near the counter, trying to get the ordeal of shopping over with, generally minding my own business. The person behind me passes some remark on the lines of "Isnt it hot today" or "So we finally won, eh?". Genial soul that I am, I nod and smile. El wierdo then proceeds to get chummy, asks me where I work and comment that i2 is a great place. After a few minutes of buttering up, he slips me his visiting card and asks me for my phone number/email id. The next day I get an email from him, inviting me to take part in an extremely profitable business venture. I dont reply, merely add his id to my ever increasing list of spammers.

Being rather slow on the uptake, it didnt hit me till yesterday that these people might be agents of the dreaded Amway network. Horrors ! I might have been reduced to a low level marketeer with a smarmy smile, shunned by friends and foes alike.

Good people, please do not talk to strangers at Food World. Please circulate this to as many people as you know. Thank you and God bless.

Current Book: Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

4 comments:

  1. Sophies World!! This book's been lying on my desk for the last 3 weeks, and 3 extensions after, i still haven't found the time to go beyond the first 15 pages!! If u have the time & the inclination, please do post in a brief review once you are done with it!!
    cheers
    AD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Sophie's World about a year ago; the original was written in Norwegian, but the translation is very good.

    On the surface, it's about this 14 year old girl who discovers an isolated house with a very interesting character who lives in it. The story progresses very well, beginning with some cryptic letters, progressing to a debate (or a monologue) on various philosophers and their theories, and finally into a supernatural trip-across-time -and-space to personally interact with the great philosophers.

    It is a very well constructed introduction to philosophy, and is probably a much more entertaining ( *and* less verbose :-) ) version of Will Durant's Story of Philosophy.

    But be warned - towards the end, the author makes the old mistake of ending the story abruptly and irritatingly, basically making way for a "next book in this series".

    I suggest you read about 97% of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks manu. That was useful, and ensured that I finally got around to reading another 20 pages today!! Hopefully should finish it by the end of my 4th extension!!
    cheers
    AD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madhav, amigo mio...

    Surely you know by now not to give your email address to suspicious sites - and people? ;)

    and dont't take candy from them either.

    ReplyDelete