Friday, January 16, 2004

Madhav Nair's Day Off

Had a lovely day off yesterday. Sindha and I left home in the morning and headed straight to Innovative Multiplex to check the show timings of Ek Hasina Thi, the only movie both of us agreed on. Found that it had a show at 1pm, drove off to Barista's on MG Road, the one in front of Barton Center. Chilled out there with a cup of coffee (current music - tere sang, ek simple si coffee bhi kick deti hai) and an orangey liquid called Mixed Fruit Tango. Moved on to a clothes shop in CMH Road where we picked up quite a few dresses for Rachana. Dropped in at 's new restaurant Shiok (hope I've got the name right) for a quick, delicious lunch and then made it to the theatre on time. Headed back home right after the movie, where Rachu was waiting with a smile. Topped off the evening with a round of badminton. Aah, perfect !


Ek Hasina Thi was good. It is definitely inspired from a host of books and movies - we could think of If Tomorrow Comes and the newer version of Double Jeopardy to begin with. I also thought there were several elements of Elmore Leonard, Tarantino and even Roald Dahl thrown in. However, the concoction does work. Just when you think you've figured it out and know the next scene, the director throws in a twist that leaves you wondering if you are really watching a Hindi movie. Quite unconventional. I thought all the actors save one did an excellent job. Saif was really, really good - this is eons away from his Dil Chahta Hai character. The only actor who didn't do justice to the role was Urmila. I've never been a fan of her acting, always thought she overacts - be it her role in Satya or the one in Bhoot. She doesn't really go over the top all the way here, but you do feel that a better actor (Karisma ? Kajol ? Tabu ?) would have excelled in this author-backed role.

18 comments:

  1. where is this new restaurent? me and tasha love to explore new food avenues so give address asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on CMH Road, in the second floor of the building that houses Sangeetha Mobiles, close to the Citibank ATM. There are no boards or notices outside the building, you'll have to take my word for it and walk up to the second floor ! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what kinda food saarey? i hate conti. veg-non veg?

    expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Far east cuisine. Singapore, Thailand, etc. Non veg, of course. A tad expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great!

    But how did Ek Hasina Thi get released on a Thursday?? This sucks! I could have seen it yesterday too, now I would have to wait until Monday. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heard the review on FM this morning which gave a semi decent review. A 2.5 on 5. But Redif is raving about it. It must be the holidays why the movie got released a day earlier in the South. It opened today in Mumbai. Whats the pricing at this multiplex? I work for a plex company myself. We are hoping to launch one end of this year. Should be able to dish out a few previews ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I think it was released here early due to Sankranti/Pongal.

    The ticket was priced at Rs 90, high by Bangalore standards. And do keep me in mind for those preview shows, thanks ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shiok? That's Singlish for 'Damn good'
    Is it a Singaporean/Malaysian restaurant? In that case, try the Chicken rice or mee goreng or carrot cake or this other noodle thing called Char Kway Teow if they have any....mmm.. god, I am 10660 miles away from the best food in the world and just thinking of them is driving me insane...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok...chicken rice, in singapore is NEVER served with basil. I dun think i even knew what basil was till I got here so that's a little unorthodox but if you has a good one, then it would have had the loveliest ground chilli paste as sauce and the rice would have been cooked in chicken broth etc etc..
    YOu HAVE To try the kway teow and the carrot cake. YOu HAVE to. sigh!
    I think I am gonna have to order a takeaway tonight..

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok...chicken rice, in singapore is NEVER served with basil. I dun think i even knew what basil was till I got here so that's a little unorthodox but still acceptable. If you had a good portion, then it would have had the loveliest ground chilli paste as sauce and the rice would have been cooked in chicken broth etc etc..
    YOu HAVE To try the kway teow and the carrot cake. YOu HAVE to. sigh!
    I think I am gonna have to order a takeaway tonight..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should watch "Ek Hasina Thi". I'm a Saif fan.But I disagree about Karisma being a better actor. I think she overacts as well. Tabu rules!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent! "Quality time" is a good thing, esp. when found in scarcity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As the owner of the aforementioned restaurant, what Madhav had was the Thai Chilli-basil fried rice, not the Hainanese chicken rice. Chicken rice wouldn't go so well with the Indian taste buds. I serve Mee Goreng and Char Kway Teow, but not carrot cake. I also make some decent Laksa, Bee Hoon Goreng, Sate Ayam, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi.

    My restaurant is called Shiok Far-eastern Cuisine (thanks Madhav!) and Madhav's already given you the address. The phone number is 5116 1800 if you want to make a reservation or ask for directions.

    Unfortunately, numerous trees on CMH Road obscure the view of the signboard (it's there) so just follow Madhav's directions. Come at night to really enjoy the candle-lit ambience, which isn't there at lunch time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aha ! Was wondering if you'd read this. I'll remember to try dinner next time. And the Char Kway Teow et al.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh good god.. now I am salivating for all of this..

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks, i found it that evening after i read madhavs post. people were wondering why i was riding with my head angled in such a strange manner. maybe if you lit up the sign it might get more attention.

    ya, will surely be there soon.

    ReplyDelete