Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Munnabhai, Fat Ollie and Cinema Paradiso

Saw Munnabhai MBBS yesterday on cable. Cliched in parts but good fun overall. The acting and direction were better than what you'd expect - I particularly liked Boman Irani, who played the dean of the college, and Arshad Warsi, who played Munnabhai's sidekick Circuit.

Polished off Ed McBain's Fat Ollie's Book yesterday night. Delicious, typical McBain fare. I must get hold of the previous book - Money, Money, Money - and the new one - The Frumious Bandersnatch - soon. Man, I love McBain. No one, just no one, does it better.

I haven't been able to locate a good DVD library that stores classic movies and is reasonably close to where I stay or work. Asking around in didn't help much. Habitat is beyond my commute, I would prefer something around Indiranagar/Airport Road/Whitefield, ideally. I guess I might have to join Leisure Hours. Their collection isn't bad, but they are quite expensive, if I remember right. Oh, for a Cinema Paradiso in Bangalore !

3 comments:

  1. Boman Irani is a great actor. I saw this movie once, called,"Lets Talk",in which I thought he was simply amazing!
    Pretty good movie too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed McBain when I went to the department store yesterday(after I read your post), shiny paperbacks - you know the stuff that sells fast. Didn't know he was good, will have to check 'im out. Munnabhai too, too many people seemed to have liked the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to start from his earlier books on the 87th Precint. Cop Hater was the first, followed by The Mugger, The Pusher, etc. Some of the books from the 90s are very good too - Ice, Mischief, Eight Black (dark?) Horses,etc.

    Munnabhai - you are more likely to enjoy the movie if you've spent some part of your life in Mumbai, I think.

    ReplyDelete