Thursday, January 8, 2004

Vernon God Little

I still don't think this is a great book. I haven't completed it yet, but I get the feeling I'm missing something here. Maybe I'm slow, maybe I haven't got the joke yet, maybe it will dawn on me towards the end. I still haven't found anything really compelling that would make me keep on reading.

DBC Pierre writes as though he is not very comfortable with the style he selected, I found quite a few phrases forced into the narrative. Ok, the protagonist has a thing about 'Number 2'. But there are only so many scatalogical references you can take. "My mouth twitched like an asshole" - erm, I'd rather not visualize that, thank you very much.

Catcher in the Rye for the 21st century ? I think not.

3 comments:

  1. Number 2? Scatalogical references? LOL!! Your review certainly seems more interesting than the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading the book.
    Maybe the scatting is justified since the story of Vernon's life seems to be: 'shit happens.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plot is pretty unreal too, I felt. And I must've missed something too, because the blurb said 'it is very, very funny'. I half- smiled a couple of times, that was about it.

    ReplyDelete