Thursday, September 23, 2004

Broadband Blues

I've been struggling to get Broadband at home for the past couple of months. Tried different providers: Sify, Touchtel, Dishnet and BSNL - none of them cover my area. I get Hathway cable at home so I thought they might be able to help, but calling them a couple of times hasn't sent their sales guys racing to meet me. 's review on MouthShut is quite true.

The reason I want broadband so badly is to work from home and take conference calls. I tried using Skype over dial-up yesterday, to join a conference. I had purchased 10 hours worth of talktime, so was hoping this would work. It didn't. Skype did not allow me to punch in the conference bridge id after reaching the conference number. The operator came on after a while, but he couldn't hear me, probably because the connection through dial-up was poor. Damn, damn, damn.

Any bright ideas? How's the speed through (shudder) Reliance mobiles? Or the wireless set from Reliance or Tata Indicom? Would connectivity be better than that through dialup? Or is there any other cheap way to get on to conference calls from home?

3 comments:

  1. why dont you consider DIAS ? they havent extended to marathhalli yet ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did. No, they haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying to get my parents to move to broadband. Does dsl cost include the phone usage too?i.e. would your govt. telephone monopoly bill you for using the dsl connection over the phone line? Technically it is seperate from phone...but...

    ReplyDelete