Tuesday, October 5, 2004

Robotic Rambling

They tell me I need to attend the user conference at San Jose on the 25th. I apply online for a visa, but can get an interview date only for Nov 7, the day I need to return. I try every day and finally get it advanced to the 27th of October, which is still bad as I need to fly out on the 21st. A co-worker happily informs me his brother has blocked six interview slots for him. He's just dying to get to the US. Me, I'm living, but only just.

Got tired of reading new books, so switched to something old and reassuring: Stephen King's Christine. I remember watching the John Carpenter movie at Sree Visakh theatre in Trivandrum, ages ago. I had liked it at that time, not sure if I will if I see it again. My favorite Carpenter movie is Assault On Precint 13, a remake of Rio Bravo. I liked it better than his more famous Halloween. The background music, composed by Carpenter himself, was pretty good too.

Sometimes I feel I am the robot of my childhood tv screens, commanded by an invisible Johnny Soko. "Come On, Giant Robot!", says the voice. I get up, I eat, I work, I sleep. And start another day.

20 comments:

  1. you cannout tell what the matrix is

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love giant robot! Especially, when he flew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You haven't quite seemed yourself these last few weeks. Is it the work?
    And yes, I loved Giant Robot too. Enough to go to a neighbour's house so I could watch it in colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giant Robot was in colour?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The good point is that your B1/B2 renewal should likely get you 5 or 10 year multiple entry this time around ... assuming the US INS/BCIS/blah have any brains left ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I am the giant robot...and what's more, I have more than one Johnny Soko telling me what to do...

    Why, only yesterday I heard someone ask me "Do you ever get any sleep?".... :-( Three close-to-all-nighters in a row. :-( :-(

    Aaaaaaaghhhhh........I want to complain some more...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not just can I take you to decent places to eat, good bookshops to browse, I can cook too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vivid Eastman Color. Wait, now that's an oxymoron.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My hazy memories say it was in very lousy colour, but colour. Now that you bring it up, I could be wrong. But then I did use to go to the neighbour's house to watch it . . . Let me know if you find out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmm .. seems u r not happy with the challenges at ur workplace ..

    3 possible options
    - try and find new challenges within the company
    - seek out new challenges outside ur job
    - the obvious .. switch jobs

    hope it helps ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! I will definitely take you up on that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, thanks, but I'm quite ok with my workplace!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's what I hope too. I hate to do this waiting-for-an-interview-spot business each time I travel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oops .. *runs away b4 sm1 recognizes foot-in-mouth*

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey you seem to be in the deep my friend. relax ,take a few days off, spend some stress free time with the lil one. and all will be well again.

    PS-goan sausages are good to lift ones spirits too...;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes I feel I am the robot of my childhood tv screens, commanded by an invisible Johnny Soko. "Come On, Giant Robot!", says the voice. I get up, I eat, I work, I sleep. And start another day.

    rest assured, you are not alone in feeling that way

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wasn't it a metallic gray, with red-tipped fingernail missiles?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to look a lot like Johnny Soko when I was a kid. I lovvvved that series. I think there are still some taped episodes lying in my delhi house somewhere.

    ReplyDelete