Monday, March 28, 2005

A few years back, I told my cousin Chitra that I'...

A few years back, I told my cousin Chitra that I'll be 30 in a year. She was horrified to know that people actually do turn thirty.

It's worse now: thirty-something, married and a dad, I've become a stereotype. I'd rather spend an evening at home than go for an LJ meet at Barista. I've lost count of the number of pubs that have opened in Bangalore which I've not been to. I've skipped parties, rock concerts, cricket matches, bargain-DVD-hunting, bowling and saturday-night-with-the-boys kind of events. I have to admit that skipping some of these have not been easy.

Which brings us to yesterday evening when I was unleashed on National Market, Sindha, Rachu and in tow. Stout man that he is (in a manner of speaking), introduced me to a couple of vendors who gave me reasonable rates for DVDs.


1. The Godfather
2. The Godfather 2
3. The Godfather 3
4. The Fellowship of the Ring
5. The Two Towers
6. The Return of the King
7. Back to the Future 1
8. Back to the Future 2
9. Back to the Future 3
10. Henry and June
11. Ran
12. Seven Samurai (yes , I know. I couldn't help it)
13. Rashomon
14. Hiroshima mon Amour
15. Sanjuro
16. Yojimbo
17. The Hidden Fortress
18. Patton
19. Platoon
20. The Longest Day
21. Alexander (part of a 4 DVD set, couldn't help it)
22. Million-Dollar Baby
23. Closer
24. The Aviator
25. Unforgiven
26. The Shawshank Redemption
27. Trainspotting
28. Sideways
29. Seinfeld - three seasons


I have divx versions of a few of the above movies, but I badly wanted them as actual DVDs. The list is nothing great really, but I thoroughly enjoyed the hour and a half I spent there. Must do this again next year.

The other highlight of the weekend was listening to Rahman sing Azadi, from the Bose soundtrack. I am privileged to have been born in the same era as the Man. Truly.

39 comments:

  1. Wow! Happy watching :)

    Bose speakers? Wow again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI- there is a new version of the national market on residency road. opp impies behind mota arcade. Same dvds and same rates.
    So no need to go all the way to the main market. - this info was given to me by dumpay who also told me he has got me the hannibal series from there.
    But i haven't seen him nor the dvd since then;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Million Dollar Baby and The Aviator are yet to release on DVD. How's the print?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't checked them out yet, but I'm hoping it's one of those 'for your review' kind of DVDs mailed out to the members of the Academy before they vote for the Oscars. I'll let you know once I take a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the Cat said above, this is the Bose soundtrack, not the speakers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, cool! Thanks, I will check it out one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pachyderm he might be, but he isn't stout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a neat list of DVDs. Did you buy them in B'lore? Pls gimme details.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, from National Market, near Majestic. Cost was Rs 110 - Rs 120 per dvd, not per movie. My total expense was about Rs 1700.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes it is pretty good. Godfather, GF2, GF3 (combined DVD) at Rs.150 and Rocky, 2, 3, 4, 5 at Rs.150.

    Now I need to get a DVD player ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. >>But i haven't seen him nor the dvd since then;)

    uffuhh ! :D I'm getting it tmrw for you !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's good pricing. But did he give you the rate after you selected so many CDs or would he have given you the price even if you bought 1 DVD?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't select any CDs, just DVDs. Yes, I believe he would have given me the same pricing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got my single Tom and Jerry for 120/-. Same place, same time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. he's not a pachyderm , he's a rutting unstoppable rhino from bloody Kaziranga. that beatzo. welcome to the club.

    When did you guys hit the place? We were there yesterday evening, kvk and I. Ha ha, Jenry and Hune, how these children of the 'eighties show their true colours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. but then u were with someone who bought DVDs worth Rs.1700 ! :) makes a lot of difference ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!!! you had money left over after all those prawns??? MArry me?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you expect and receive good DVD quality, or did you receive camera prints in DVD format?

    ReplyDelete
  19. We were there between 4 and 6 on Sunday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't checked them all, but so far everything has been good. I was not interested in camera prints.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, that reminds me. I haven't put in my expense report yet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's worse now: thirty-something, married and a dad, I've become a stereotype.
    No, you haven't. Like I said earlier, I only mentioned it because that was about all those people had in common, from whatever I knew of them. Sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh no, please don't apologize. This wasn't in response to your post at all!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dhempe dhearest, you are absolutely right. Everyone who bought DVDs from that shop benefited from my largesse. That was the only reason why all of us got a good deal. Happy?

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is way too cool.. of course considering you got good quality too! btw, do they have any jap anime titles? i know a few folks who'd be interested in such loot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. :)) even hari felt so ! :P

    ReplyDelete
  27. After watching Constantine, I came home and read forty issues of Hellblazer, just to wash myself of the excruciating memories.

    ReplyDelete
  28. just missed you then.
    shucks, would have been good to attack beatzo in person.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Son, you are precious. Whether you buy 234 dvds or 1.72 dvds, the unit price remains the same.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Look who's here!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Look, it's me!!!

    I wanted to tell you, I wrote a plug for your employer. Here

    ReplyDelete
  32. Goods transport business, eh? Interesting

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ok, I checked out the prints. As I hoped, they are all 'promotional material', so the quality is good. One problem with Million Dollar Baby though is that I suspect it's a DVD reprint from a VCD version.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh. Were you there when they launched it?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Am listening to the song from Raaga. Most excellent.

    ReplyDelete