Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Tech Talk

I'm thinking of upgrading my prehistoric Windows 98 to something more modern and less problematic, like Win XP. However, what's stopping me is the cost. Of course, I can grab a pirated version and go right ahead, but I thought I'd at least consider a Linux distro. My main requirements out of the OS are:

1. I should be able to setup my DSL modem and use my BSNL broadband account fairly smoothly. Smooth to me, not sm00thorz, if you know what I mean.
2. I need to be able to burn CDs using my Samsung CD Writer.
3. I should be able to watch Div-x movies
4. Winamp or its Linux equivalent should work
5. I should be able to work with MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
6. Yahoo and MSN messengers should work. Oh, ok. At least GAIM or something that alows me to sign into Yahoo, MSN and AIM.

I understand there is a distro (SUSE?) which allows you to run Linux off a CD and evaluate it. Would that be a good option? Are the above requirements too stringent? Hmm.

17 comments:

  1. *sigh* As I sit here downloading fedora, my two bits:

    The answers:
    1 -- Most distributions will set it up smoothly. Ugh to sm00thorz.
    2 -- Unless your Samsung CD writer comes with a linux port , my poison is K3b
    3,4 -- Trivial
    5 -- Ahh :). While Openoffice is good, it's no replacement for Office. If you have a copy of MS Word then Crossover office might be your answer. Frankly though,a computer that is running Win 98 might not have enough horsepower for it.
    6. Trivial - Gaim works very well for me

    I am not sure about Suse, but as far as CD boot ones go -- Knoppix is perhaps what you are looking for.

    If you are a newbie or n00b, I would recommend Fedora :). If however you are into pain suffering and all that, may I say Gentoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say -- way cooler answers :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two versions of linux which will run off the CD. You can take any one of them, try them out and take whatever you like. Both do all the above things you mentioned.

    And since you are on DataOne, you don't have to worry about setting up anything for that on Linux. DataOne should work right out of the box on Linux.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you come out of this alive, do post about what you actually used... for us linux-phobics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still waiting for my Ubuntu CDs in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How would you rate your BSNL Broadband experience?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, thanks. I knew I could count on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot. I was planning to try Knoppix. I am a newbie alright.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent, just what I was hoping for. How do I get hold of you? I didn't save your number when you called me last. Try again, please?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you love all these geeky names? Ubuntu. Knoppix. Distro. Gentoo. Gentoo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No complaints so far, speeds have not been all that high though. Never dropped in the past one month, so that's a huge plus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mobile is out of charge now. You can mail me at gmail. Same ID.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought Windows XP Professional! Ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete