Thursday, April 17, 2008

Words

When I was reading books and growing up, both at the same time, I used to come across words and phrases that weren't used in regular conversation. Not in Thiruvananthapuram, at least. No, not the words you think, but stuff like "chuckle", "what the", "darn it to heck" and the like. Me and my cousin found out that "chuckle" meant smile or laugh. After that, we often chuckled at each other. Literally. For example, he'd say something funny and I'd say "Chuckle, chuckle".

"What the" came out of comic books, mainly the superhero variety. On a side note, it wasn't until I met the illustrious that I realized there could be other varieties. Anyway. I used to read a lot of Superman those days, which usually had characters like Jimmy Olsen or Clark Kent who, when confronted with a super villain, went "What the..!". I used to wonder, this time without my cousin, what this expression meant. I didn't really think I was missing a word, it seemed to be complete in itself. I finally figured it was an exclamation of surprise, but nothing much more. As a result, while playing cricket with the neighbourhood kids, I used to often cry out "What the!" when the ball I thought was a perfect yorker was launched right out of the park.

We now come to "Darn" and "Heck". I confess I went twenty seven years without knowing that these words were substitutes used by God-fearing folks when they wanted to curse. I realized this when I was on a chat site long back and I said "Heck" in conversation. One fellow chatter, from Canada if I remember right, immediately said "Oh, we have a devout Christian boy in our midst!". It was then that enlightenment dawned. Since then, I've always been fucking explicit when I chat.

10 comments:

  1. That reminds me of the time we would say "phew" to each other after a tiring run. Like, literally, "pee-you".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the time when a friend said, 'Ug! Ug!' and I stopped her saying, 'You mean Ug! as in U-G-H from Calvin and Hobbes right? So should that be uff (as in en-uff) or Ugg?' and we had a hearty laugh about it 'cause we would never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Awesome post. :)

    I used to read Archie comics voraciously and I remember being puzzled by the "censored" they'd throw over an overtly suggestive illustration. For a short while, I used to exclaim, "censored!" whenever something racy was on the television. I figured it out eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that so interesting. Better brush up on my vocab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was small, Raju beta asked me "Uncle, who's your dad?" I told him the truth. He couldn't handle it. It ended with him embracing me and calling me "Chettaa.." I peed in my pants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. > he'd say something funny and I'd say "Chuckle, chuckle".

    :))

    > I've always been fucking explicit when I chat

    :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. > I used to often cry out "What the!" when

    :)) One of the funniest posts in a while

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember saying "tsk tsk" approximately as it's written. Ah, and if saying "heck" (I do it all the time) makes me a good Christian boy, I'd better throw in a few jeebus-fuckin-christs for good measure just so people don't get the wrong idea.

    ReplyDelete