Friday, November 9, 2001

Discworld, Messengers and other very important stuff

Work, the curse of the drinking class ! Lots of small things to be taken care of, lots of big problems too. Still find time to update the journal from office, so that's probably a good thing.

Sindha's phone problem has been solved. She will be here on Sunday. Ya-ay !

My login frustration continues. Tried for close to an hour yesterday from home. Sent a stinker to netkracker today. Got an automated reply which listed out a series of telephone numbers and a statement that the SUN never sets on netKracker.

A note about the Discworld series I've been reading. Its about a disc shaped world which is borne by four gigantic elephants. These elephants stand on an even bigger turtle, which travels across space. The sex of the turtle is known, and is the cause of much research on the discworld. This world is inhabited by men, wizards, trolls, gnomes, barbarians, etc. There are also heroes, one of whom bears the interesting name of Cohen the Barbarian. Visit Terry Pratchett's website for more information. He also has a site which is under construction at the moment.

Another day, another Instant Messenger comes my way. Apart from the main ones like MSN, Yahoo, ICQ and AIM, I tried out Jabber and Odigo which claim to integrate all the big four in one screen. I didn't like the clunky interface of Jabber and the oh-so-kool one of Odigo, so sneered at both and promptly uninstalled them. Then I came across Indiatimes Messenger, which is pretty fast, and also does integration. Trillian is the latest one which I found, but I was put off by its complex interface. So what do I use ? Actually I prefer to use msn and yahoo, even if it means having multiple messengers in my system tray. I like the interface on both these apps, and they have a lot of value added stuff.

i2 uses Lotus Sametime for intra-office communication. Now Sametime is integrated with AIM (AOL messenger), so I'm online on AIM also. However Liza is the only one on my buddy list on AIM.

What were the above two paragraphs all about ? Why are they important in my life today ? Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. I used the cross-platform-all-integrating-no-bells-or-whistles messenger from http://www.imici.com for a while.
    But then, you always drift back to the original ones no matter how bulky or taskbar-cluttering they are.
    As I am typing this, I am downloading the client (again) from there - just for nostalgia's sake.
    Try it. It's not so ugly or complicated. You might even like it.
    Although it can be a bit inconsistent when it comes to logging in to particular services.
    After this you can do a full-fledged comparison article on LJ. How about that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost count of the number of times I've picked up, contemplated on and then finally left reading/buying one of those Discworlds. Now i eagerly await the review.

    Do I need mesengers? No. My LJ friends are the only ones who "messenge" me. Come to think of it, they are(were)the only ones who mail me as well. Where have all the buddies gone? Long time passing. When will I ever learn?

    ReplyDelete