Tuesday, January 15, 2002

Lord !

Saw The Fellowship of the Ring on Divx yesterday. Absolutely fantastic. Its a great adventure yarn which should appeal even to those who haven't read Tolkien. In fact - dare I say it - it could be better than the book !

The movie starts off with a nice prologue which gives you a brief idea of the one ring and its origin, thus giving the film a linear look which wasn't so evident in the book (the story of the ring appears in the middle of the first book, narrated by Elrond). The tempo builds up as the fellowship is formed and the travel begins. The sequences in the mines of Moria are spectacular. But to me the best - and most chilling - part of the movie was the picturisation of the Ringwraiths. The Nazgul Riders are truly awesome, you tremble with Frodo and the other hobbits as they approach, you urge the heroes on as they flee , you heave a sigh of relief as they are swept away in the flood...but you know they will be back. Awesome.

Peter Jackson has taken the best of the book, distilled it and presented it in his own vision. A lot of detail has been left out, but I do believe this will help those who are new to Tolkien. See the movie, then read the book. You'll probably enjoy both. Then of course, see the movie again !

I saw it on a small 14" monitor and loved it. What would it be like on the big screen ? I cant wait.

86.

9 comments:

  1. Honestly Madhav if there's one more word out of you about the fabulous pirated movies you see, I shall personally smash your 14" monitor ! Have a heart man...spare a thought for your less privileged brethren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I have it on cd now. Hop over and pick it up anytime. I have Ocean's 11 also on the same cds, btw. More motivation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I rip them off too? ;)

    I have a CD writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem. Sometime this weekend maybe ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Cool. How? Where? When? Lemme know...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come over to my office sometime today or tomorrow, give me a couple of CDs and I will pass them back to you next week. I'm on the 4th floor, B Tower,Diamond District, Airport Road. 5208210, xtn: 3219

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi.

    I dropped by your office at around 10:49 today. Couldn't come last week because I had muscle tear in my shoulder which made it painful to shift gears in my car :(

    I made a mistake in not calling first. Unfortunately, I got the dreaded "he's in a conference meeting" reply from security. Having suffered numerous meetings myself, I knew that I might end up waiting for a lonnnng time before you surfaced ;)

    Hence, I left two blank CDs with the front desk and attached a post-it note to them.

    I know I should've stuck around to meet you (for the first time). Sorry for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, sorry for not being around when you dropped by. I had tried calling you last week, but kept getting a busy tone.

    I'll burn them in a couple of days (latest by Monday) and give you a call. Whats ur email id btw ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, the bloody phone department decided for some reason that I hadn't paid my bills and disconnected my line, hence the busy tone :( Had to run around a lot to get it fixed. It's OK now.

    E-mail: webguru AT VSNL dot NET (trying to prevent spambots from harvesting it)
    (I thought you'd have looked at my LJ profile and found out ;)

    Ph: 5367837
    Mobile: 98440 50701

    Take your time, buddy. :)

    ReplyDelete