Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Adaptation and the Oscars

Saw Adapatation the other day. Found it quite clever and well made. The ending felt slightly contrived and a bit too pat, given how the movie started off. That apart, I enjoyed every minute. Nicholas Cage turned out to be a much better actor than I imagined. Chris Cooper clearly deserved his Oscar too.

Speaking of which, here are my predictions for the major awards this year at the Oscars. These are those whom I think will win and not those which I think should. (I haven't seen most of these movies in any case !)

Best Picture - Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Best Director - Peter Jackson for Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Best Actor - I'll go out on a limb and guess Bill Murray (Lost in Translation) instead of Sean Penn (Mystic River) here
Best Actress - Charlize Theron for Monster
Best Original Screenplay - Sofia Coppola for Lost in Translation

9 comments:

  1. My choices exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you believe in using the Golden Globes as a crystal ball and then adding a tweak of your own eh? But then why not! The Globes have been excellent predictors of the way the Oscars go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll break a coconut at Ayyapa Mandir if Johnny Depp win ;) Oh how I wish :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chances are that you might get a minimum of 4 out 5 right! ;) I'd like Clint Eastwood to win, but I guess LOTR is more the Oscar type. Bill Murray - personal choice, although Sean Penn had given a mindblowing performance. Sofia Coppola, hands down winner.
    Yeah,Nic Cage surpassed himself in Adaptation, doesn't matter much to me though...I always liked him for his eyes. Hihi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you believe in using the Golden Globes as a crystal ball and then adding a tweak of your own eh?

    No.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh. That was a pleasant surprise, Depp being nominated for Pirates. I don't recollect him being nominated before..need to check and confirm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He definitely deserves an Oscar, I'd say, even if it would be like Training Day for Denzel Washington if they gave it to him this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOTR is certainly not Oscar type...going by its previous history of thumbing down fantasy epics.

    But history about is to be made. LOTR will win. :-)

    Adaptation already got nominated last year. And Chris Cooper won best supporting actor. And I agree with u, Cage rocked in Adapatation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please dont get riled. Sorry no offence meant!

    ReplyDelete